Lots has happened since our last post in the fall! Unfortunately we still have not been out sailing on the boat yet but we are getting closer and sailing this spring/summer looks promising!
Ellery has done a lot of work on Arctic Loon in the past few months. He installed roller furling. We got the windows in the dodger replaced and we are anxiously waiting to receive our mainsail, which we got altered so the boom will clear the boom gallows. Ellery also replaced the jib halyard and installed grab rails throughout the cabin.
After a strong wind storm in November the main dock nearby was heavily damaged. Despite Arctic Loon being within the length and weight restrictions required for moorage, the foreshore staff felt she was too heavy for the float. For that reason, Arctic Loon was moved to another float, which is not actually attached to the main dock but anchored nearby. This means we have to take a small raft pulled by hand to get to our boat, which was a novelty at first but is now more of a hassle.
Since we have been moored to the new float, we have had a couple more strong wind storms. We were coming down frequently to check on our boat and ensure the lines were secure. The first thing Ellery accomplished in 2016 was to splice 9 new tie up lines made of double braided nylon and installed cleats mid ships. Now Arctic Loon is very well secured with all matching tie up lines!
In the last week, Ellery has made and installed a new engine room door, which keeps the cabin warmer and will muffle the sound of the engine to those in the cabin.
Ellery has also installed a thermometer, barometer and hygrometer at the the nav station.
Lastly, we continue to chase the source of a leak in the chainplate area, which is evident when it rains.
Overall we are pleased with our progress but excited to get sailing!